Printing and copying is sooo boring. But not if it carries some dynamite design!
We see it every day from people big and small, rich and poor, talented and not-so-talented. Through Dean’s (graphic artist and designer extraordinaire, in my opinion*) keen eye, there are a number of trends screaming for attention. Here is what many of you favor–
- Print on gloss paper, almost to mirror quality
- Full color and images. Black and white is so last century, unless you are using for a special effect
- Design everything for two worlds: print and web
- Interactivity: both online forms and print/mail/fax versions are a must these days
And, the trends that should be sent to the recycling bin—
- Texting ain’t writing. For business-like communication, it is not good 2 use txts. Fun to read but hard to edit and proofread.
- Designing with cheap software. Good design will shine no matter what, but give it the platform it deserves!
- No planning. Since your design goes through so many stages and processes, there must be some lead time to tweak and de-bug. It is a long road— design to proof to print to mail to email to website to facebook. And the road is not paved!
Is there a full moon? It seems every time there is, some strange requests walk in our front door. Not good or bad, just weird. Like “can I get business cards printed for my dog?” Or, “I need a menu printed for my new mobile salad bar business.” Another visitor complained: “your free note pads are too big.”
*Dean, Art Director at Capitol Copy Service for more than 14 years. Design@Capitol-Copy.com